What is a Pharmacy Technician and What Do They Do?
Are you looking to become a pharmacy technician in New Mexico? Then you’ve come to the right place! A pharmacy technician is an essential part of the healthcare team. They work alongside pharmacists to provide high-quality patient care. The role of the pharmacy technician is to provide assistance with medication preparation, prescription order entry, inventory management, and other related duties.
Overview of Training for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
If you are interested in becoming a pharmacy technician in New Mexico, there are several steps that you must take before you can begin working. Here is an overview of what you need to do:
- Step 1: Complete an Approved Training Program – Before working as a pharmacy technician in New Mexico, you must complete an approved training program that meets the standards set by the State Board of Pharmacy.
- Step 2: Pass the National Certification Exam – After completing your training program, you must pass the national certification exam administered by either the National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) or the Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ICPT).
- Step 3: Apply for Licensure – Once you have passed your certification exam, you must apply for licensure through the State Board of Pharmacy. You will also need to submit fingerprints for background checks.
- Step 4: Maintain Your License – In order to maintain your license, you must complete continuing education courses every two years.
Following these steps will ensure that you are qualified and ready to become a successful pharmacy technician in New Mexico. With dedication and hard work, it’s possible to make a positive difference in people’s lives and pursue a rewarding career as a pharmacy technician!
How to Become a Pharmacy Technician in New Mexico
Are you interested in becoming a pharmacy technician in New Mexico? If so, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss the educational and certification requirements for pharmacy technicians, as well as the job roles they are expected to perform.
Educational Requirements to Become a Pharmacy Technician in New Mexico
In order to become a pharmacy technician in New Mexico, you must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. However, if you are looking to specialize in the field of pharmacy technology, there are several certificate and degree programs available through accredited universities and colleges. These programs provide comprehensive training on topics such as pharmaceutical calculations, drug interactions, drug dispensing techniques, pharmaceutical compounding and more.
Certification Requirements for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
The State of New Mexico does not require certification for pharmacy technicians. However, some employers may prefer that their employees be certified by an organization such as the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). The PTCB offers an exam which tests your knowledge on topics such as medication safety and patient care. Once you have passed the exam, you will be eligible for certification and can begin working as a certified pharmacy technician in New Mexico.
Job Roles of Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
Pharmacy technicians play an important role in ensuring that medications are dispensed accurately and safely. Some of their primary duties include:
- Preparing prescriptions by counting tablets or measuring medication.
- Verifying instructions from physicians on prescription orders.
- Compounding medications.
- Providing customer service by answering questions regarding medications.
- Maintaining records of all medications dispensed.
With proper education and certification requirements met, individuals looking to become a pharmacy technician can expect to find rewarding careers with competitive salaries throughout New Mexico.
Career Prospects for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
Are you looking to launch a career as a pharmacy technician in New Mexico? A pharmacy technician career offers many exciting opportunities, from competitive salaries and growth potential to diverse job options. Let’s take a closer look at the career prospects available to pharmacy technicians in New Mexico.
A. Salary Expectations for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
Pharmacy technicians earn competitive salaries and enjoy the benefits of a stable career with good job security. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for pharmacy technicians in May 2019 was $33,950. The top 10 percent earned more than $47,720 while the lowest 10 percent earned less than $23,570 annually.
B. Employment Opportunities for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
The employment outlook for pharmacy technicians in New Mexico is excellent due to an aging population and increased demand for prescription medications. The number of jobs available for pharmacy technicians is expected to grow 7 percent between 2019 and 2029 – much faster than average compared to other occupations.
C. Advancement Opportunities for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
With experience, pharmacy technicians can move up the ranks or explore new areas of specialization such as compounding or long-term care facilities. With additional training, some become certified pharmacy technicians (CPT), which can open up more job opportunities and higher wages. There are also opportunities to become a lead technician, supervisor or manager within the field depending on experience level and education achieved.
In summary, pursuing a career as a pharmacy technician has many advantages including competitive salaries, excellent job security and plenty of advancement opportunities with additional training or certifications. With so many benefits, it’s no wonder that more people are turning towards this rewarding profession!
Statutory and Regulatory Guidelines for Pharmacy Techs in New Mexico
In New Mexico, the practice of pharmacy technicians is subject to statutory and regulatory guidelines. This article provides an overview of the regulations that govern pharmacy techs in the state of New Mexico.
New Mexico State Board of Pharmacy
The New Mexico State Board of Pharmacy sets the standards for all pharmacy technicians in the state. The Board requires that all pharmacy techs must:
– Be at least 18 years old
– Have a high school diploma or GED
– Pass a criminal background check
– Successfully complete an approved training program
– Pass a national certification exam administered by either PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) or NHA (National Healthcareer Association).
Licensure Requirements for Pharmacy Techs in New Mexico
The State Board also sets licensure requirements for all pharmacy techs working in New Mexico. These include:
– Completion of an approved training program from an accredited institution or board-approved entity, which includes classroom instruction and hands-on experience in an actual pharmacy setting.
– Passing a competency exam administered by either PTCB or NHA.
– Submission of a completed application to the NMSPB with appropriate fees.
Ongoing Requirements for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
Once licensed, there are ongoing requirements that must be met by all pharmacy technicians practicing in New Mexico. These include:
– Maintaining up to date knowledge of new drugs and technologies through continuing education courses.
– Obtaining 20 hours of continuing education per year prior to renewal period each year
Other Requirements for Pharmacy Techs in New Mexico
In addition, all individuals practicing as a pharmacy technician must adhere to certain ethical standards as outlined by the State Board including: – Abiding by federal and state laws governing the practice of pharmacy technicians – Maintaining patient confidentiality – Refraining from any activity that could result in harm to patients – Acting professionally at all times – Refraining from dispensing medications without proper authorization – Adhering to established policies and procedures – Reporting any violations or irregularities observed while on duty
By understanding and adhering to these statutory and regulatory guidelines, individuals seeking certification as a pharmacy technician can ensure they are prepared to meet the licensing requirements set forth by the State Board of Pharmacy in New Mexico.
Benefits of Training to Become a Certified Pharmacy Technician in New Mexico
Are you considering becoming a certified pharmacy technician in New Mexico? There are some excellent benefits to getting the necessary training and becoming certified. It can open up greater job security and professional growth opportunities for you. Let’s take a look at what these benefits are:
Greater Job Security
When you become a certified pharmacy technician in New Mexico, your credentials will give you greater job security. A certification indicates that you have the knowledge and skills needed to do the job correctly, which means employers will be more likely to hire you or keep you employed if they know that you have been properly trained.
Professional Growth Opportunities
In addition to providing greater job security, getting certified as a pharmacy technician can open up new professional growth opportunities. As technology advances in the field of healthcare, there will be more opportunities for people with the right credentials and training. With certification, you’ll be able to take advantage of these new opportunities as they arise.
Stay Up-to-Date on Industry Changes
By taking part in ongoing training and education programs for pharmacy technicians, you’ll also stay up-to-date on industry changes and developments. This means that your knowledge base will always remain current so that you can provide the best service possible for your patients.
Finally, becoming a certified pharmacy technician opens up networking opportunities with other professionals in the field. This is an excellent way to build relationships with other pharmacists and technicians who may be able to help advance your career further down the line.
Becoming a certified pharmacy technician in New Mexico is not only beneficial for your own career growth but also provides valuable services to patients who rely on knowledgeable professionals like yourself for their healthcare needs. So why wait? Get started on your journey today!
The Benefits of Becoming a Certified Pharmacy Technician in Training for Pharmacy Technicians in New Mexico
If you’re thinking about becoming a pharmacy technician in New Mexico, you may be wondering what the benefits are of becoming certified. Being certified as a pharmacy technician is beneficial to both employers and employees. Here are some of the key benefits of becoming a certified pharmacy technician in training for pharmacy technicians in New Mexico:
- Increased Job Opportunities: Having certification as a pharmacy technician makes you more attractive to employers looking for qualified professionals. This can help you get your foot in the door when applying for jobs, making it easier to find employment.
- Better Pay: It stands to reason that those with certification will be offered better pay than those without it. Having certification also provides access to higher-level positions and more responsibility.
- Enhanced Knowledge: By studying and training for certification, you’ll become knowledgeable about the latest pharmaceutical technology, legal regulations, and professional standards. You’ll gain valuable skills that will make you more marketable as an employee.
- Recognition from Peers: Being certified shows peers and colleagues that you have invested time and effort into gaining knowledge and honing your skills. This recognition can lead to greater job satisfaction and career advancement opportunities.
- Continuing Education Requirements: Many states require continuing education (CE) credits after initial certification. By keeping up with CE requirements, your skills stay current and you remain eligible for job opportunities.
Becoming certified as a pharmacy technician in New Mexico is an excellent way to open doors to new job opportunities, increase your salary potential, enhance your knowledge base, receive recognition from peers, and meet continuing education requirements. If you’re considering this career path, take the time to research the many benefits of becoming a certified pharmacy technician in New Mexico so that you can make an informed decision about how best to advance your career goals.